Distance Learning Parent Letter from Principal Karen Watkins
April 1, 2020
Dear 6th Grade Academy Parents/Guardians:
Let me begin by saying that we truly miss each of you and hope that you are staying safe! I hope you have enjoyed the many ways that staff have chosen to communicate with your child during this unique time in history. More specifically, we want to thank each of you for the support that you have given us. We recognize the challenge put before you, however, we are Muskogee Strong and will get through this experience together.
As we move to a new Distance Learning model, I wanted to share with you that we have been working hard to put in place a clear process for supporting you and your child during this time. As you are aware, the district has posted a variety of instructional links on our webpage.
All of these instructional tools are also loaded on your child’s Chromebook in CLEVER. As you begin to navigate the online instructional resources, please consider the following:
- The online materials provided for your child will only focus on skills that they have already learned with their teacher.
- Make sure to set up a designated space for your child to focus on their work.
- It is important to “Know Your Child”. Different kids will do best in different learning environments. If your child learns better in groups, try a Zoom study session with a fellow classmate. The older kids are, the longer they may be able to work on their own.
- Your child’s daily schedule should encompass activities that you feel comfortable working on with them. If in question, do not hesitate to reach out to your child’s teacher for support.
- Depending on age, help your child identify an activity that they love to do. This will allow you to build in time where they can engage in something that keeps their interests and attention.
- Online Resources – use what we have provided you to continue strengthening your child’s skills. Do not worry about how much you get done. Whatever the amount, it will be perfect - I promise.
- 6th Grade Academy Teachers’ Office Hours: 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. They will communicate with you and your child weekly to provide any support that you need.
- Be Forgiving of yourself and your child – these are unprecedented times and we are all going to get through this together. When you or your child need a break, take one! It will be well deserved.
Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us during the week if you have any questions. We will be available to support you in any way possible. Thank you again for your support in helping us to create a great experience for all involved.
Karen Watkins, Principal
6th Grade Academy @ Grant Foreman