Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update
Muskogee Public Schools is committed to the safety and wellbeing of its students and staff. With growing concerns about the potential spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19), we are continually monitoring reports from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), OSDH, and Muskogee County Health Department.
At this time, there are now two confirmed cases of Coronavirus in the State of Oklahoma. Should a case in Muskogee occur, the district will work closely with the CDC, OSDH, and SDE to follow their advice and guidelines.
To help prevent the spread of germs in our schools, the CDC recommends the following measures:
- Wash hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use alcohol-based hand sanitizers.
- Avoid touching eyes, mouth and nose with unwashed hands.
- Practice social distancing from people who are sick. Maintain a reasonable distance (6 feet is recommended) and restrict physical contact such as handshakes and hugs.
- Keep children home when they are sick. The CDC recommends that individuals remain home for at least 24 hours after their last recorded fever or signs of a fever (i.e., chills, aches, feeling warm, flushed appearance). Keeping children home when they are sick is critical to prevention.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue or your elbow. Do not cough or sneeze into your hand or into the air.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
At the district level, we are working on the following items:
- More stringent and focused cleaning of our classrooms and high touch areas.
- Using CDC approved Clorox products to deep clean and disinfect over Spring Break.
- Staying informed on the latest recommendations from accredited health organizations
- Constructing a plan for all patrons in the event of the Coronavirus affecting Muskogee Public Schools
- Working with schools to ensure that coursework and meals are ready to go in the event of a prolonged school closure.
After Spring Break, if you have done any extensive traveling or are returning from a Level 2 or 3 country, please review the following:
For more information on the Coronavirus, please click the links below.
Oklahoma State Department of Health – Information Regarding Travel, Spread of Coronavirus, Frequently Asked Questions, and More
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention – Preventative Measures for Coronavirus
Teachers, we appreciate your support in helping us to prepare in advance. As you may already know, The University of Tulsa chose to move to online classes yesterday, and there are strong indications that OU and OSU may follow suit today or tomorrow.
Your principal may have already spoken with you about preparing 5 days of homework for our students in case a situation arises where schools are required to close. As a reminder, K-5 students should have their assignments placed in their Virtual Day Homework Folder; 6th - 12th graders should have their homework placed in Google Classroom (please ensure that the assignments are locked until it is determined that we are proceeding with a school closure). As you prepare assignments, please ensure that you are covering content that has already been taught in class. Please ensure that all assignments are ready to go by Friday, March 13, 2020.
More information will follow pertaining to student attendance if we are required to proceed with another Virtual Day experience for our students and families. Should you have any questions or individual precautionary concerns, please contact your principal.
/vimages/shared/vnews/stories/5e69393652b84/2020-03-11 Coronavirus Update2.pdf